Albany High Times

Home
Search Engine
News & Clues
Website History
Albany Academy
In Memoriam
Missing Classmates
Before AHS
AHS Classes
Indian Pride
Albany SHOF
Remembering Teachers
Radium Springs
Memories, Etc.
Us Now
Albany Articles
Albany Links
Staff Credits

 

This page last modified: Sunday June 18, 2017  
 
Albany, Georgia

... just a small town in South Georgia that grew the best kids ever raised!

WE LOOK BACK ON 101 YEARS  ... WITH PRIDE!!!   WE LOOK BACK ON 101 YEARS  ... WITH PRIDE!!!!
... and looking back ... we celebrate the "TIMES" of our lives ... !!! 

Albany High School  .... Through the Years
~ 1916  to  2017 ~
 

First Dedicated 4 year AHS

1916 - 1925

North Corner of Monroe and Society

Second Building

1926 - 1954

North Jefferson Street

Present Building

Fall of 1954 - 2017

Residence Avenue

 

Note: for history of  Mrs. Anselm Sterne's Institute founded in 1877

and The Albany Academy founded in 1886

(click here) Albany Academy

 

 

ALBANY HIGH SCHOOL

~ 1916 to 2017 ~

The History

of the

1st, 2nd, and 3rd buildings that housed ...

OUR ALMA MATER

Albany High School

 

~ 1916 - 1925 ~

In 1916, a two-story building with ten class rooms and two bicycle racks, was the first actual Albany High School.  It was built on the southwest corner of  Monroe Street and Society Avenue.  Over the next 9 years it was obvious they had outgrown the building, and in the fall of 1925, the AHS on Monroe Street became McIntosh School, housing grades 4 - 6, and served for almost 50 years.  It was named for Mr. H.M. McIntosh,  former Editor of The Albany Herald.   Miss Toy Spence was the Principal.

***

~ 1925 - 1954 ~

The second Albany High School building opened in the fall of 1925 at 1000 N. Jefferson Street.  Mr. J.O. Allen was Principal.   The south end of the school was for boys and the north end was for girls!   There was no lunchroom.  There were only 11 grades! 

The Class of 1950 was the last year with 11 grades.  Serving as a bridge in the change from 11 to 12 classes, the Class of 1951 was small; but by the next year, the Class of 1952 was the first full class to graduate in 12 years! 

The first Librarian was Mrs. Mabel White Hogue.  The Indian was first mentioned in the 1925 Thronateeska.   Thronateeska, the Indian name for the Flint River, means "giving forth" in the Creek Indian language.   The Student Council was started in 1926-27 with Stephen Hofmayer as President. 

The Class of 1954 was the last graduating class in this building.

 

Site of 1954 Graduation Ceremony 

***

~ 1955 - 2017 ~ 

Sadly, Albany High School closed abruptly June 2017,

 on the first Senior Class of 1955's 62nd Anniversary of their Graduation Day

When the doors opened at the third new Albany High School on Residence Avenue, the Class of 1955, proudly assumed the role of the first Senior Class.   Mr. J. J. Cordell was Superintendent of Education,  Mr. J. O. Allen was Superintendent Emeritus,  and Mr. H.E. (Mr. Mac) McNabb was Principal.   In addition to Mr. Cordell,  Ed Martin,  J. P Champion, Jr.,  E. H. Kalmon,  Jos. S. Rosenberg,  H. Holcombe Perry,  Jim  Porter Watkins and Louis Peacock served on the Dougherty County Board of Education.   Dennis and Dennis were Architects,  Richard V, Richard, Associate,  and S. J. Curry of  S. J. Curry and Company was General Contractor. 

The 1955 Thronateeska Editor-in-Chief was Claire Wooddy.  The Annual was dedicated to  Mrs. Helen Myers Long, and to the memory of Lansing Burrows Mays.  Emory Lewis was Student Body President.  Sara Cordell and Jimmy Phillips were selected by faculty vote to be the recipients of the Kiwanis Award and the McIntosh Award,  the highest awards attainable at Albany High School. 

~ Last AHS Building - Through the Years ~

 

   

1955

 1965 

 1968




MILLS MEMORIAL STADIUM

 2002 

          

 

 

 

~ Sponsors ~

for June 2017 - May 2018!

This website grew out of a plan to start a website for the Class of 1955 (first class to graduate from new Residence Avenue building), but soon many other classes showed interest, so The Albany High Times was created instead, for all classes. 

 

The number of Indians (classes of 1933 - 2018) in the tent is close to 2,000.

 

The website has connected classmates in a wonderful way, and you who have volunteered to be Sponsors for the next year are a part of making that happen! 

 

 

 

***

The Albany High Times

... is extremely grateful to ALL, who through the years,

have been willing to serve as  Sponsors for the Albany High Times!

 

 

*** THE HISTORY***

of

"ALBANY HIGH TIMES"  and "News & Clues"

*** Beverly Smith (Zacharias) Herrington first posted a TEMPORARY website on her personal website on June 4, 2002

*** The ORIGINAL stand-alone ALBANY HIGH TIMES website was first posted on August 16, 2002

*** As the number of Indians grew, the monthly newsletter, "NEWS & CLUES", was created.  The first edition was emailed January 21, 2007.  The monthly issues reach approximately 2,000 Indians in classes from 1933 to 2018!

*******

Comments, questions or problems regarding this web site should be directed to:

albanyhightimes@aol.com

 

Our ALBANY HIGH TIMES' STAFF

  •  Creator and WebMaster: Beverly Smith Herrington ('55), albanyhightimes@aol.com

  •  Reporter/Editor: Tommy Pattison  ('54),  goldenoldie35@yahoo.com

  •  Advisor/Photo Editor: Tom Herrington ('56), THFISHW8@aol.com

  •  Reporter/Editor: Martha LeSueur Nicholson  ('56), mlnicholson@yahoo.com

  •  Liaison to 1960's and 1970's: Joann Roark Arneson ('62), jprarneson@aol.com

  •  Liaison to 1970's and 1980's: Lynne Garrison Johnson ('82), Yquem29@aol.com

  •  Genealogic Consultant for "In Memoriam": Brenda Arnett Darbyshire ('67), badarbyshire@gmail.com

  •  Original Website Advisor: B. Dianne Calhoun, WebDesignbyDi@aol.com,  daughter of Beverly Smith Herrington ('55) and James M. Calhoun ('50)

  •  Also ... many thanks to Tommy Pattison, Tommy Herrington, Buster Wasden and Dan Brooks (deceased) who helped get the Albany High Times off the ground in 2002!

 

 

Back to Top